Magnificent Ballroom Re-decorated For The Occasion!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The stage and gas arrangements under the management of Mr. C. Lightfoot, late of the Alexandra Palace.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Writing Aids

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Veronika
Weaves her Tantalizing Tapestry of Terpsichorian Treats on the Lofty Wire.
Veronika

Writing Aids Empty
PostSubject: Writing Aids   Writing Aids I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 9:04 pm

Sometimes when I'm thinking about a short story to write, comic, or novel I like to have a list of words that I keep by me to act as some form of stimulation. Sometimes if you're looking at different environments to set your comic in it's sure handy to have a list of words ready and available, so here is what I refer to in those times:

Environments:
Marshlands, monastery, dormitory, chapel, infirmary, prison, dungeon, altar, stadium, amphitheatre, balcony, mezzanine, pier, bridge, spaceship, zeppelin, charnel house, catacombs, althenaeum, rotunda, gazebo, pavilion, gondola, chateau, citadel, cottage, corridor, champaign, courtyard, atrium, colonnade, patio, pergola, cloisters, palace, canopy, crypt, vault, undercroft, underground, chamber, desert, wilderness, mirage, oasis, salon, grange, manor, hacienda, homestead, farm, station, field, meadow, forest, hut, treehut, glade, sylvan, tunnel, alcove, canyon, gully, gorge, wadi, couloir, graveyard, palace, palazzo, mansion, carousel, marketplace, rialto, battleship, submarine, stage, inn, caravanserai, khan, labyrinth, jungle, maze, studio, cabin, armoire, lab, library, atelier, curiosity cabinet, wanderkumer, abode, apartment, asylum, bungalow, castle, condominium, den, dwelling, estate, habitat, haunt, next, orphanage, residence, village, city, ghetto, slum, downtown, ward, megalopolis, metropolis, municipality, district, lair, precinct, citadel, fairground, circus, grotto, hospice, warren.

There are bound to be more so please feel free to add to it. I probably should have put it in alphabetical order, but oh well.
Back to top Go down
-3-
Will introduce the most Astounding Optical Illusions atop his Grand Phantoscope.
-3-

Writing Aids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writing Aids   Writing Aids I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 9:19 pm

Interesting notion.
But unless the story has location specific needs, i usually come from a different angle before hitting the list you offer. Before thinking much about the actual where of the scene, i'm usually thinking about the mood factors of the scene.

My first list would look more like:
Cold, hot, bright, dark, gloomy, calm, tense, nervous, jittery, soothing, dry, wet, smokey, transient, permanent, ancient, archaic, modern, tomorrow, heavy, light, open, trapped, stale, rotted, dead, alive, fresh, loud, quiet, fast, slow, static, etc.,.
That's top of my head, so not very extensive.

But coming at in from a mood approach like that tends to help narrow the thinking when i start thinking more about the physical spaces your list contemplates, and often suggests the answer before i ask as the combination of those factors mixes with the characters in the scene.
Back to top Go down
http://emt.thecomicseries.com/
Arden
Who will appear in a Glass Tank every evening, ably assisted by Miss Le Grande.
Arden

Writing Aids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writing Aids   Writing Aids I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 6:02 pm

Veronika wrote:
undercroft

What is an undercroft? (I know, I know, but googling spoils the conversation).

These are useful ideas for me since everything I do tends to arrive unannounced complete with setting. I wouldn't know where to start if I had to write something specific. By combining those two lists I can really go to town.

Actually it's less of a town - more of an archaic citadel.
Back to top Go down
Veronika
Weaves her Tantalizing Tapestry of Terpsichorian Treats on the Lofty Wire.
Veronika

Writing Aids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writing Aids   Writing Aids I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 5:16 am

^^you mean you don't play the World of Warcraft?^^

No nor do I.

In architecture an undercroft is a subterranean room of any kind but especially one under a church, or one used as a chapel or for any sacred purpose. (I googled Embarassed) You can kind of develop some mystery around it.

Yeah archaic citadel ... now we just need some people.
Back to top Go down
Arden
Who will appear in a Glass Tank every evening, ably assisted by Miss Le Grande.
Arden

Writing Aids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writing Aids   Writing Aids I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 8:44 pm

That's easy: we'll just take all the archetypes from The Hero With A Thousand Faces - it worked pretty well for George Lucas.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Writing Aids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writing Aids   Writing Aids I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Writing Aids
Page 1 of 1