Magnificent Ballroom Re-decorated For The Occasion!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The stage and gas arrangements under the management of Mr. C. Lightfoot, late of the Alexandra Palace.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

NOW PLAYING in the Magnificent Ballroom's Cinema Fantasma!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
-3-
Will introduce the most Astounding Optical Illusions atop his Grand Phantoscope.
-3-

NOW PLAYING in the Magnificent Ballroom's Cinema Fantasma! Empty
PostSubject: NOW PLAYING in the Magnificent Ballroom's Cinema Fantasma!   NOW PLAYING in the Magnificent Ballroom's Cinema Fantasma! I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 12:17 am

Herein one may find the posters, advertisements and assorted promotional paraphernalia representing fine works of cinematic artistry such as may not be found in the mere movieplexes littering the mundane malls and shopping centers.
Back to top Go down
http://emt.thecomicseries.com/
-3-
Will introduce the most Astounding Optical Illusions atop his Grand Phantoscope.
-3-

PostSubject: Re: NOW PLAYING in the Magnificent Ballroom's Cinema Fantasma!   NOW PLAYING in the Magnificent Ballroom's Cinema Fantasma! I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 12:21 am

Stanley Kurbick's blockbuster version of Iron Man! (From a challenge by Warren Ellis)
NOW PLAYING in the Magnificent Ballroom's Cinema Fantasma! Kubrir10
Back to top Go down
Smoke
Performs "Someone Left My Toothbrush On The Moon" and other serio-comic fancies.
Smoke

PostSubject: Re: NOW PLAYING in the Magnificent Ballroom's Cinema Fantasma!   NOW PLAYING in the Magnificent Ballroom's Cinema Fantasma! I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 12:28 am

Alex has gone Extremis!
Back to top Go down
-3-
-3-

PostSubject: David Lynch's Spider-Man   NOW PLAYING in the Magnificent Ballroom's Cinema Fantasma! I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 12:29 am

Spider-Man, as directed by David Lynch
NOW PLAYING in the Magnificent Ballroom's Cinema Fantasma! Spider-lynch-3-
Back to top Go down
-3-
-3-

PostSubject: Re: NOW PLAYING in the Magnificent Ballroom's Cinema Fantasma!   NOW PLAYING in the Magnificent Ballroom's Cinema Fantasma! I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 1:26 am

Smoke wrote:
Alex has gone Extremis!

One of the earlier ideas i had would have been very much so. Kubrick version of Tetsuo, The Iron Man.
If you're familiar with that Japanese cult flic, take Alex in the eye clamps, add in the heavy metal techno man machine merging from Tetsuo, and then overlay shadow with the rectangular Iron Man eye holes casting light on the forced stare.
I went the way i figured most people would get more readily. Probably because just before that i was thinking of basing it on the Polish movie poster for Eyes Wide Shut - Kubrick's last film. But who's going to get the reference there?
Looking back, i would have chosen differently if i had the luxury of time to reflect, and gone with the idea described above. But i only had a few hours to conceive and execute the poster. Too many other things needed doing this week.

And on the larger scale here, movie posters for non-existent or alternate reality version films are something of a semi-common practice with a lot of artists. I thought this could be a good way to start spreading some of the art out around here. Hopefully we'll see some other agents booking films here at the Cinema, and perhaps opening up some other venues in the Ballroom as well.
Back to top Go down
Veronika
Weaves her Tantalizing Tapestry of Terpsichorian Treats on the Lofty Wire.
Veronika

PostSubject: Re: NOW PLAYING in the Magnificent Ballroom's Cinema Fantasma!   NOW PLAYING in the Magnificent Ballroom's Cinema Fantasma! I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 7:01 am

Okay I'm game for a little cinematic artistry!

I've wanted to stray in poster design. So my game plan is (and I invite whoever whenever):

Create a file, dimensions about 2200 pixels wide x 3300 pixels high.
Make up a movie title (or comic title), can be real or not.

And then for my non-expert advice (gleaned from my many years of googling) think about
  • visual hierarchy,
    capturing a strong design,
    silhouette,
    the interplay between flat colour and continuous tone images,
    limited colour palettes,
    and how you want your poster to affect your audience.

^^it hasn't bulleted all those items^^

Then do some visual research. No deadline.
Ya know, you guys know all this stuff already, but I think I'm the junior here. If anyone wants to add to that list that's going to help, then please do.
Back to top Go down
Arden
Who will appear in a Glass Tank every evening, ably assisted by Miss Le Grande.
Arden

PostSubject: Re: NOW PLAYING in the Magnificent Ballroom's Cinema Fantasma!   NOW PLAYING in the Magnificent Ballroom's Cinema Fantasma! I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 7:34 pm

I love those -3-, especially Dr Eraserpuss!

Vonny, my last but one Emily England page just happened to mention the entirely fictional movie, Rhapsody In Blood, so I should take up your challenge and create a poster for that, maybe even include it in the strip later on. Since it's supposed to be a British horror movie from 1971, the look is already well documented - it's just a case of whether or not I can capture it.

NOW PLAYING in the Magnificent Ballroom's Cinema Fantasma! 100_0082

NOW PLAYING in the Magnificent Ballroom's Cinema Fantasma! Savage_jackboot_site-504x368

For some reason, Savage Jackboot never made it to pre production!
Back to top Go down
-3-
-3-

PostSubject: Re: NOW PLAYING in the Magnificent Ballroom's Cinema Fantasma!   NOW PLAYING in the Magnificent Ballroom's Cinema Fantasma! I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 9:05 pm

Based on the timing, i'm guessing that Savage Jackboot never made it into production because Hammer got wind of Ilsa: She-Wolf Of The SS and figured they really didn't want to catch any of that fallout.

A few more alternate reality movie posters. These are NOT my work, but they just fit so well:
NOW PLAYING in the Magnificent Ballroom's Cinema Fantasma! Iron_f10
NOW PLAYING in the Magnificent Ballroom's Cinema Fantasma! Ghostb10
NOW PLAYING in the Magnificent Ballroom's Cinema Fantasma! Wolver10

These are from Sean Hartter's blog, where he has at least a couple dozen similar posters. (Probably closer to 3 dozen or more - i didn't count 'em)
Back to top Go down
-3-
-3-

PostSubject: Re: NOW PLAYING in the Magnificent Ballroom's Cinema Fantasma!   NOW PLAYING in the Magnificent Ballroom's Cinema Fantasma! I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 16, 2011 9:33 pm

Okay, back on track to posters we created.

I was digging through old data today and found this from about 10 years ago (well before the whole 2012 thing got popular for movie plots). This features my younger son, the actor/comedian, who doesn't use the name listed on the poster any more. He has two middle names - Kirk and Patrick, which he combined to use as a stage name when starting out. These days he goes mostly by Strangling Jack Johnson of the Swinging Johnson Brothers, a southern California improv comedy group. (website)

The basic story for the non-movie was about an immortal man who had been trapped in a thousand time loop, struggling to break free and move forward. But the loop ends in late 2012, only days before the Mayan calendar runs out. If he manages to finally escape the time trap, will it only be to see the world end and die with it?
NOW PLAYING in the Magnificent Ballroom's Cinema Fantasma! Millen10

*LOL* And it's only now, a decade later, that i notice there's a typo in the bottom left text block.
Back to top Go down
Veronika
Weaves her Tantalizing Tapestry of Terpsichorian Treats on the Lofty Wire.
Veronika

PostSubject: Re: NOW PLAYING in the Magnificent Ballroom's Cinema Fantasma!   NOW PLAYING in the Magnificent Ballroom's Cinema Fantasma! I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 3:12 am

very psychedelic medallion mandala you've got going there.

Last edited by Veronika on Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Arden
Who will appear in a Glass Tank every evening, ably assisted by Miss Le Grande.
Arden

PostSubject: Re: NOW PLAYING in the Magnificent Ballroom's Cinema Fantasma!   NOW PLAYING in the Magnificent Ballroom's Cinema Fantasma! I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 3:38 am

That's great! I can see the resemblance there too - his good side is obviously the same side as your good side!

This could be the blockbuster screenplay that makes you a millionaire - better get it written quick though.
Back to top Go down
Smoke
Performs "Someone Left My Toothbrush On The Moon" and other serio-comic fancies.
Smoke

PostSubject: Re: NOW PLAYING in the Magnificent Ballroom's Cinema Fantasma!   NOW PLAYING in the Magnificent Ballroom's Cinema Fantasma! I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 1:53 pm

I personally prefer the name Strangling Jack.
I'm loving these posters, they are great.
Back to top Go down
-3-
-3-

PostSubject: Re: NOW PLAYING in the Magnificent Ballroom's Cinema Fantasma!   NOW PLAYING in the Magnificent Ballroom's Cinema Fantasma! I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 5:59 pm

Veronika - The medallion is basically a neon enhanced version of the Mayan calendar. I like the way it came out.

Arden - still need someone to get out there with the screenplay, same as with the art. But nice thought. Wink

Smoke - he's six & a half foot tall, too. It helps sell the name. But it may come back to bite him if this one parody character i've been thinking about shows up - Johnson Strangling Jack.
It won't be pretty.

And speaking of not so pretty - here's a very simplified design for The Shadow.

NOW PLAYING in the Magnificent Ballroom's Cinema Fantasma! 5374025606_6357c98bd1_b

(The Chinese characters read "Who Knows What Evil")
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NOW PLAYING in the Magnificent Ballroom's Cinema Fantasma!   NOW PLAYING in the Magnificent Ballroom's Cinema Fantasma! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NOW PLAYING in the Magnificent Ballroom's Cinema Fantasma!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Magnificent Ballroom Re-decorated For The Occasion! :: Professor Taylor's NECROMANTIC ENTERTAINMENT and Seance Magique. :: The Footlights-
Jump to: