Magnificent Ballroom Re-decorated For The Occasion!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The stage and gas arrangements under the management of Mr. C. Lightfoot, late of the Alexandra Palace.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

China on your Desktop

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Veronika
Weaves her Tantalizing Tapestry of Terpsichorian Treats on the Lofty Wire.
Veronika

China on your Desktop Empty
PostSubject: China on your Desktop   China on your Desktop I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 9:40 pm

The latest in technology, step right on up and get your free desktop 3D printer. Yes folks it is a self replicating machine that lets you print (or manufacture) various plastic items you would otherwise buy at the store.

[url=reprap.org/wiki/Main_Page]CHECK IT OUT HERE[/url] - CLICK ON THAT.

Make sure you watch the video on:

[url=vimeo.com/5202148]HERE[/url]

It kind of reminds me of some sort of sewing machine using nylon thread which melts and prints out a raised image bit after bit while the plastic dries. It's on my wish list!!
Back to top Go down
Arden
Who will appear in a Glass Tank every evening, ably assisted by Miss Le Grande.
Arden

PostSubject: Re: China on your Desktop   China on your Desktop I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 11:30 am

Phew - not a true self replicating machine thank goodness - it can produce a number of the parts that are then used to build it, not all of them, and it can't assemble itself. Soon as we create a true self replicating machine, it's curtains for us. What possible use could they have for us?

Don't say curtains.
Back to top Go down
Veronika
Weaves her Tantalizing Tapestry of Terpsichorian Treats on the Lofty Wire.
Veronika

PostSubject: Re: China on your Desktop   China on your Desktop I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 11:22 pm

CURTAINS!

Seriously, I wouldn't mind one of these machines, it will make anything plastic that you may need, plus you can get all these patterns/templates/models etc to use. The only thing will be buying the special plastic line to make the stuff ... but if it takes off, and I think it will ... all those little knick knack things we often need we can just zip out on this machine. Hopefully the cost of the plastic will be cheaper than buying it in a store. Otherwise it has no real point to it, unless one wants to make novel prototype things on it. WHich could be fun.

Does anyone want a plastic pink gorilla by any chance?
Back to top Go down
Arden
Who will appear in a Glass Tank every evening, ably assisted by Miss Le Grande.
Arden

PostSubject: Re: China on your Desktop   China on your Desktop I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 10:30 am

I suspect making plastic knick knacks on this machine will never be cheaper than buying the ones that come mass produced from China, where they don't have to pay anybody. The prototype angle is useful, but the question of different plastics isn't addressed. Almost every plastic thing you buy is made of a different plastic. Would they have a different type of plastic thread for every occasion?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: China on your Desktop   China on your Desktop I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

China on your Desktop
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Magnificent Ballroom Re-decorated For The Occasion! :: Professor Taylor's NECROMANTIC ENTERTAINMENT and Seance Magique. :: The Orchestra Pit.-
Jump to: