Magnificent Ballroom Re-decorated For The Occasion!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The stage and gas arrangements under the management of Mr. C. Lightfoot, late of the Alexandra Palace.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Matters Of An Introductory Nature.

Go down 
+2
Veronika
Arden
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Arden
Who will appear in a Glass Tank every evening, ably assisted by Miss Le Grande.
Arden

Matters Of An Introductory Nature. Empty
PostSubject: Matters Of An Introductory Nature.   Matters Of An Introductory Nature. I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 3:16 pm

Hello, Arden here, saying hello to a new establishment. Anybody out there?
Back to top Go down
Veronika
Weaves her Tantalizing Tapestry of Terpsichorian Treats on the Lofty Wire.
Veronika

PostSubject: Re: Matters Of An Introductory Nature.   Matters Of An Introductory Nature. I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 4:21 am

I've just come in from the cold, now where is my martini Sir?

Oh I'm Veronika by the way, pleased to meet the members of this fine establishment; when you get to know me better you may call me Lady Vonny. In the meantime I'll be over with the burlesque entertainers, wherever that will be, or is.

My avatar will appear in due time.
Back to top Go down
Arden
Arden

PostSubject: Re: Matters Of An Introductory Nature.   Matters Of An Introductory Nature. I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 4:32 am

Splendid! It's a little quiet at the moment but I'm sure it'll soon be a happening.

Do you like an olive in your martini?
Back to top Go down
Smoke
Performs "Someone Left My Toothbrush On The Moon" and other serio-comic fancies.
Smoke

PostSubject: Re: Matters Of An Introductory Nature.   Matters Of An Introductory Nature. I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 10:17 am

I'm here.

I suspect I should suggest a section devoted to the mechanics of the software we're using, so there can be links to manuals, etc, and help with answering questions on links and such.

This software is as complex as you want to make it. You can sit and talk while working, or you can be very complex with the use of cyborgs, scripts, animated backgrounds. I don't want to scare people away from the project by listing all the technical stuff, but that stuff is good if you have a vision and want to create it.
Back to top Go down
Arden
Arden

PostSubject: Re: Matters Of An Introductory Nature.   Matters Of An Introductory Nature. I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 10:35 am

Excellent: I was planning to create a thread devoted to ideas and planning of the infinite canvas - a sort of 'story so far' then upwards and onwards. That'll sit perfectly with the thread you've suggested; these should probably be in the top secret project section - you know how much they're all going to try to steal this before we can roll it out!
Back to top Go down
Smoke
Performs "Someone Left My Toothbrush On The Moon" and other serio-comic fancies.
Smoke

PostSubject: Re: Matters Of An Introductory Nature.   Matters Of An Introductory Nature. I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 10:43 am

And also remember, we were hacked, and the DNS issue last night was part of that.
In talking to the support group, we are "the palace that got hacked". like how people stupidly refer to Harry Potter as "The boy who lived"- (I hate that, because for god's sake, look around you, the who damned school is chock full of boys that are living, that accomplishment is no great shakes if EVERY boy is doing it.)
Back to top Go down
Arden
Arden

PostSubject: Re: Matters Of An Introductory Nature.   Matters Of An Introductory Nature. I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 11:06 am

Haha! Really?!
Makes me feel a sense of pride to be "The Palace that got hacked" - it's like, "why are they hacking those guys? they hardly have anything up yet? What do they know that we don't? Call for pizza - I am not moving from this spot!"
Back to top Go down
Veronika
Veronika

PostSubject: Re: Matters Of An Introductory Nature.   Matters Of An Introductory Nature. I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 4:00 pm

Weird on the hacking. I know the address is on the Mondo whiteboard which may not be the best place to put emails or web addresses on related to any of the works or us.

There are people out there who trawl the internet for email addresses (I know as I have to use an email account for work and it's got to be 'out there' in virtual space, so I get spam stuff all the time); who may do the same thing with web sites (they look for bot hosts where they can send files from hacked sources/computers without themselves being identified. Technical stuff I'm a novice to, but it's something like that.

Now copyright issues, apart from some of the images, I'm a little unsure what that is about. On Mondo is it often done that people post other people's materials (as in just to discuss), as anything for educational purposes etc is fine. But American laws are possibly different, heck Americans can even patent descriptive words.

@Arden, I would like a black olive in that martini, thank you very much.
Back to top Go down
Arden
Arden

PostSubject: Re: Matters Of An Introductory Nature.   Matters Of An Introductory Nature. I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 4:12 pm

Veronika wrote:

There are people out there who trawl the internet for email addresses (I know as I have to use an email account for work and it's got to be 'out there' in virtual space, so I get spam stuff all the time); who may do the same thing with web sites (they look for bot hosts where they can send files from hacked sources/computers without themselves being identified. Technical stuff I'm a novice to, but it's something like that.

We absolutely know who did the hacking - they must've wanted us to know, judging by the elephant sized footprints they left in the butter!

I think I can stretch to a black olive - I'm a dab hand with cocktails, without wishing to sound immodest! A Martini is one serious drink!
Back to top Go down
Veronika
Veronika

PostSubject: Re: Matters Of An Introductory Nature.   Matters Of An Introductory Nature. I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 5:09 pm

I'm obviously logged on at the moment, however, I got notification from my hotmail of an update so I went onto the site via that link. Even though I had not yet logged in I could still see Arden's new comment that he had made --- odd. I guess if it's to do with cache stuff that maybe why. I gather you are using the same software as Mondo forum, did this issue arise on that?
Back to top Go down
Arden
Arden

PostSubject: Re: Matters Of An Introductory Nature.   Matters Of An Introductory Nature. I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 5:25 pm

It's just a matter of how you set things up I think. I have us set to automatic login status so it's all systems go as soon as you get here but I can change that if you prefer - it's not going to make any difference in terms of forum visibility for non members..
Back to top Go down
Veronika
Veronika

PostSubject: Re: Matters Of An Introductory Nature.   Matters Of An Introductory Nature. I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 5:30 pm

It's all good, (smile).
Back to top Go down
Smoke
Smoke

PostSubject: Re: Matters Of An Introductory Nature.   Matters Of An Introductory Nature. I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 5:54 pm

Veronika wrote:
Weird on the hacking. I know the address is on the Mondo whiteboard which may not be the best place to put emails or web addresses on related to any of the works or us.

Now copyright issues, apart from some of the images, I'm a little unsure what that is about. On Mondo is it often done that people post other people's materials (as in just to discuss), as anything for educational purposes etc is fine. But American laws are possibly different, heck Americans can even patent descriptive words.

Well, it's best not to use copyrighted work. When in doubt, I always don't. You can always check the Preminger Archives to see if something is public domain, or there are free-use websites out there.
When they post different materials on a private forum, it's a private affair, but if they should use that artwork in their own, or as their own, it's a possible copyright violation.
Back to top Go down
Smoke
Smoke

PostSubject: Re: Matters Of An Introductory Nature.   Matters Of An Introductory Nature. I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 9:52 pm

Smoke wrote:
Veronika wrote:

Well, it's best not to use copyrighted work. When in doubt, I always don't. You can always check the Preminger Archives to see if something is public domain, or there are free-use websites out there.
When they post different materials on a private forum, it's a private affair, but if they should use that artwork in their own, or as their own, it's a possible copyright violation.
Back to top Go down
Veronika
Veronika

PostSubject: Re: Matters Of An Introductory Nature.   Matters Of An Introductory Nature. I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 11, 2010 3:23 am

This copyright issue isn't by any chance related to my latest Phantasmagoria comic where I use public domain images and images from the Dover's Pictorial Library?

Reason I ask is that someone did PM me on Facebook and say they were "amazed at my abilities of theft", which I came back to them with a rebuttal of some sort about Dover's licensing policy, etc and it was all okay. Plus permissions have been sought elsewhere, granted and I didn't even need to acknowledge as it wasn't for any commercial purpose - how's that for generosity?
Back to top Go down
Mr. C. Lightfoot
Anticipates ongoing renovation to his gas arrangements.
Mr. C. Lightfoot

PostSubject: Re: Matters Of An Introductory Nature.   Matters Of An Introductory Nature. I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 11, 2010 8:59 am

Most generous indeed: I hardly think the appropriation of the images in question constitutes
grand larceny however. And how fortunate for Mr. Warhol that there was no Facebook to be PM'd on in his day.
Back to top Go down
https://zatso.forumotion.com
Smoke
Smoke

PostSubject: Re: Matters Of An Introductory Nature.   Matters Of An Introductory Nature. I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 11, 2010 9:47 am

Veronika wrote:
This copyright issue isn't by any chance related to my latest Phantasmagoria comic where I use public domain images and images from the Dover's Pictorial Library?

Reason I ask is that someone did PM me on Facebook and say they were "amazed at my abilities of theft", which I came back to them with a rebuttal of some sort about Dover's licensing policy, etc and it was all okay. Plus permissions have been sought elsewhere, granted and I didn't even need to acknowledge as it wasn't for any commercial purpose - how's that for generosity?

No. that's exactly one of the public domain sites I was referring to. There's catalogues of pd work in evey graphic art studio.
It's just a general policy in the format we are using. There are graphics and rooms made available to the public for palace, but if a user complains that we stole his barroom, by rights, and ethics, we take it down.

( we need a decent bar, by the way, a neighborhood pub by joint, so people can mash out ideas - I'll start bluelinfing that tonight.)
Back to top Go down
Veronika
Veronika

PostSubject: Re: Matters Of An Introductory Nature.   Matters Of An Introductory Nature. I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 11, 2010 1:12 pm

Smoke wrote:

( we need a decent bar, by the way, a neighborhood pub by joint, so people can mash out ideas - I'll start bluelinfing that tonight.)

AGREED!
Back to top Go down
Arden
Arden

PostSubject: Re: Matters Of An Introductory Nature.   Matters Of An Introductory Nature. I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 11, 2010 4:00 pm

Thirded!
Back to top Go down
Veronika
Veronika

PostSubject: Re: Matters Of An Introductory Nature.   Matters Of An Introductory Nature. I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 2:46 pm

Arden wrote:

We absolutely know who did the hacking - they must've wanted us to know, judging by the elephant sized footprints they left in the butter!

I think I can stretch to a black olive - I'm a dab hand with cocktails, without wishing to sound immodest! A Martini is one serious drink!

I don't think elephants live down there, you sure it wasn't a tweety footprint in that butter?
Back to top Go down
Arden
Arden

PostSubject: Re: Matters Of An Introductory Nature.   Matters Of An Introductory Nature. I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 3:51 pm

I was speaking metaphorically of course and with apologies to our real elephant patrons - the elephant is a noble and majestic beast!

Edit: yes, on closer inspection, definitely a small bird or large insect type print!
Back to top Go down
RoboTwin

RoboTwin

PostSubject: Re: Matters Of An Introductory Nature.   Matters Of An Introductory Nature. I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2010 8:29 am

Allow me to introduce myself. I am and am not RoboTwin, possibly a bio-mechanical man with no discernible function or use, merely exercising liberties I never earned for myself.

In regards to the elephantine, scientists have determined that living skin of your typical adult human, on close inspection and scaled to the size of elephants, is actually more wrinkly than that of elephants.
Back to top Go down
http://www.robotwin.com

PostSubject: What IS a Tarnsman   Matters Of An Introductory Nature. I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2010 10:03 am

Howdy. I got invited and I'm not sure why.

If you can't post "colorful" language here, I'm not sure how long I'll last.
Back to top Go down
Arden
Arden

PostSubject: Re: Matters Of An Introductory Nature.   Matters Of An Introductory Nature. I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2010 10:52 am

Hey there, welcome guys!

RoboTwin - you just provided the jaw dropping slice of elephantine trivia I'll be unleashing over christmas dinner this week - cheers!

Tarnsman - my guess is you're here because Madame Veronika saw in you a prime specimen!

Matters Of An Introductory Nature. Zardoz_yes_this_is_him

Prime specimens are apt to use 'colourful' language, so you should be fine! This forum just kind of spun off from another project and hopefully it'll just find it's own way.
Back to top Go down
-3-
Will introduce the most Astounding Optical Illusions atop his Grand Phantoscope.
-3-

PostSubject: Re: Matters Of An Introductory Nature.   Matters Of An Introductory Nature. I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2010 6:07 pm

"I don't think elephants live down there, you sure it wasn't a tweety footprint in that butter?"

For you youngsters, it's referencing an old Elephant Joke:

How do you know when there's been an Elephant in the refridgerator?

Footprints in the butter!

Long ago, elephant jokes were a popular fad.

Why do elephants paint their toenails red?
Back to top Go down
http://emt.thecomicseries.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Matters Of An Introductory Nature.   Matters Of An Introductory Nature. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Matters Of An Introductory Nature.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Magnificent Ballroom Re-decorated For The Occasion! :: TO-NIGHT and every evening until further notice, the beautiful Indian princess ZENOBIA in her AERIAL FANTASTIQUE FLIGHTS. :: The Box Office-
Jump to: